Two fragments of drinking vessels of Georgian date were found in one of the test pits in July 2012. What are these objects doing here in the field?
The restoration of this majestic stone monument to its original form and on the original site was executed as reported at that time in the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser on 4th April 1834, with the aid of “powerful machinery”. Perhaps a steam or traction engine was brought onto the land to help reposition the uprights and balance the capstone back into place: pieces of clinker were found in several of the test pits.
There are also some hints that some of the ground on one side of the stones was disturbed during this early restoration project: here soil mixed up with the rab and many smaller stones were unearthed. Splinters of glazed Victorian patterned china, clay pipe stems and bowls and even bits of 20th century century bakelite were found. Perhaps the fragments of china as well as bits of drinking glasses are signs of celebratory picnics or later outdoor gatherings to mark the early restoration of the quoit by members of the Pendarves family? Some of the glass looks even older and perhaps the family at the big house regularly held summer picnics around this ancient monument. For once the quoit had been restored in 1834, it would clearly have become a curious local landmark and focus.